The Giant “Coming Soon” banners promise weed homegrown in Brooklyn — all for sale in the borough’s first dispensary.
Its website dangles the prospect of a new cultural center, where a glitzy casino and Brooklyn’s first “legal and safe” brothel will share space with the marijuana dispensary.
And it’s all set to open a few years from now — on May 5, 2017 — near the corner of Nostrand Ave. and Herkimer St.
Clearly the “Piazza” and the 8-foot banner announcing the plan is a hoax — but it still hit a nerve Wednesday in Bedford-Stuyvesant, where the banner was a popular topic.
“I just moved in around the corner, and I was wondering what they were doing on this lot,” vocalist Harry Einhorn, 27 told the Daily News. “Then I saw this. If it’s real, I’ve got a deadline of May 2017 to move out.”
Irene Taylor, 55, liked the idea of casino — and thought it might actually be plausible for the neighborhood.
“I’ll probably be their first customer,” she joked.
Medical marijuana and prostitution are illegal in the city, but new legislation pending in Albany could make New York the 22nd state to legalize pot as medicine. A Siena College poll released in April found 51 percent of New York voters support the widespread legalization of medical marijuana.
So-called sponsors including the Rockefeller Foundation and Bill& Melinda Gates Foundation and Bloomberg quickly backed away from the hoax, saying they had no involvement with it.
“Our attorneys have asked for our logo to be removed from all materials,” Neill Coleman, a spokesman for The Rockefeller Foundation told The News.
Coleman said his group had nothing to do with the project and wanted off its alleged list of touted sponsors.
“We have absolutely nothing to do with this, but it’s a rather artistic website and maybe the link will send more traffic to our site,” joked Malika Granville, marketing director for Brooklyn Arts Council.
“That might be the silver lining,” she added.
The owner of the lot where the banner was discovered by residents this week confirmed that the banner is a hoax.
“It’s not true,” property owner Morris Mizrahi told The News Wednesday. “Don’t fall for it. This is a hoax. There are no plans whatsoever for this property.”
He said his family has owned the corner section of the 1,950-squar-foot lot for three decades and had no idea who hung the banners on its fence. He vowed to call his lawyer.
Attempts to reach the folks behind the hoax were not successful Wednesday. The website was purchased in March and the Facebook page went live last week.
With Brian Niemietz
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.