Four people in Australia were hospitalized after a man served a birthday cake with cannabis-infused chocolate to family members at a recent gathering. The man, who is in his late twenties, “thought it would liven up the family birthday party,” according to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald.
One woman who was hospitalized told a radio station on Monday that the family had gathered for lunch and to celebrate a birthday.
“Everyone was having a lovely time and cake was passed around at dessert with fruit and cream and some nice little chocolate chunks sprinkled over it,” she said. “And it turns out the chocolate chunks contained marijuana.”
The woman, who is in her fifties, said that the group started feeling the cannabis a while later.
“The effect was not immediate which I now know is the case with edibles,” she said. “I’ve learned all about marijuana and edibles. Within an hour I was experiencing throat swelling and dizziness, within three hours myself and four other family members were hospitalized with overdose.”
The woman said that she had even gone into anaphylactic shock and had to be treated with adrenaline.
“Apparently, I’m allergic to cannabis or whatever it was in that very high